I’ve been tracking my macros with Jeremy Mullins and Ashley White Stephens over on the My Macro Tools and macroed Facebook page and the Project U Facebook page. I’m a week in on the 8-week cycle. I hadn’t been going to Crossfit Countdown while rehabbing my wrist from the surgery but when I started back I realized I needed to focus on my food and dial in a little tighter, so since people had been asking me about the “macros” in my recipes, I thought it was time to learn something new. And, this was where to do it. Check it out.
It’s logical. You track your carbs, fats, and protein… a lot of protein. You drink a lot of water. I’m a real-food-clean-eater anyway, so this wasn’t far off from my wheelhouse. It’s been nice to just jump right in. I even took a “before photo.” (not where I like to be, but I’ll be back there asap)
I will be doing guest recipe posts with My Macro Tools and I’m excited about that! This easy recipe works very well as a meal prep for 4 lunches. It heats up nicely and it’s easy and delicious. It also can be made with grass fed beef or lamb or llama, instead of the bison. If you substitute sausage, it’s going to seriously increase your fat intake, so bear that in mind.
- 400 gram, Red Bell Pepper (2 peppers – you can use other colors)
- 350 g, Broccoli, raw (2 cups)
- 1 lb(s), Game meat , bison, ground, raw
- 4 oz, Cheese, Apple Smoked Cheddar, chopped (sub most any real cheddar, but go for big flavor)
- 0.50 tsp(s), Basil, fresh
- 0.50 tsp, Garlic, minced
- 0.25 tsp(s), spice, turmeric, ground
- 0.50 tsp(s), Smoked Sea Salt
- 0.50 tsp, Coconut Oil (1 Tsp)
- 0.25 g, 1/8 tsp), Black Pepper (1/8 Tsp)
- 2 TBSP red pasta sauce, OPTIONAL (this is for those who like a “gooier” casserole. If you add this, read your labels and find one with NO SUGAR)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 29 g||44 %|
|Saturated Fat 13 g||66 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 108 mg||36 %|
|Sodium 581 mg||24 %|
|Potassium 652 mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11 g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||15 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 31 g||62 %|
|Vitamin A||22 %|
|Vitamin C||258 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I cooked the Bison Casserole in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. I portioned it out into meal prep containers for 3 lunches and ate the other 1/4.
Let me know how it goes.
Let me know if the macro information will help you on my recipes. More to come!